Well, our hobbies are not essential needs per se. But as leisure time is becoming more and more scarce, when something doesn't work out of the installer you may feel a bit like in the middle of a crisis.
Here is my list of companies that have great customer support that pulls you out of the "crisis" at lightning speed. I even have gotten responses within an hour and/or during a weekend. So here is my note of appreciation to them.
- Battlefront.com (Combat Mission series). You may not be a big fan of their DRM, but let me tell you that these folks have gone the extra mile for me and fixed my issues with an old game I played a decade ago.
- John Tiller Software (Panzer Campaigns/Battles series). Head of operations honcho Rich Hamilton will not waste a second in getting back to me to fix the crossing from the old HPS to the new JTS.
- eSim (Steel Beasts ProPE series). When the DRM dongle broke, they got back to me within hours and shipped me a replacement the same day.
- Lock 'n Load Publishing/Panther Games (Command Ops 2 series). The folks at LnL take a no-drama approach to the DRM burdens so common in other companies.
- NWS WARGAMING STORE (Rule the Waves series). In my humble opinion, these guys implemented a scary DRM approach for Rule the Waves 2. But they kept their word of helping annoying customers like me. Kudos.
- WarfareSims/Slitherine/Matrix Games (Command Modern Operations). Well I have known the guys from WarfareSims back from when their masterpiece was humbly called "The Red Pill", and they are always very attentive to my requests coming from a total lack of knowledge.
- Graviteam (Graviteam Tactics Mius Front series). Even with a language barrier between us, we communicate constantly in things we do very well: them building campaigns and awesome content, myself ruining the hopes of their poor virtual soldiers and shamefully sharing my defeats with you.